The Human Reignition Project

Other projects of Somnova developers

The Human Reignition Project

Postby raithfyre » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:07 am

HRP is another VN with a few Somnova and ex-Somnova members in it. I'm one of the writers, and Myuto is our primary sprite artist. Keviniskool isn't part of Somnova anymore, but he's the scene director for HRP, and handled a couple other tasks as well. Same goes for Yune: no longer part of Somnova, though she is one of HRP's CG artists. The demo for the game can be found here, and we're also holding a Kickstarter campaign.

Please do consider checking them out.

At its core, HRP is a boy x girl visual novel made in the vein of classics like the Grisaia series and Ever17. We love games that require you to replay and go down different routes in order to get the full story, rather than a "one and done" approach.

The game's set in Japan, in the relatively near future. Still this century, but a couple decades from now. Advancements in fields like robotics have made a lot of jobs redundant, and nearly omnipresent devices like smartphones have the done the same for face-to-face conversation. HRP as a game examines the impact that technologies like these have on our lives and relationships. Within the story, the Human Reignition Project is a small group formed by one old lecturer; a relic of a more personal generation. He'd like to see things go back closer to the way they were.

We're not trying to teach a lesson or anything like that, though. It's setting and flavor, instead of a moral approach. We also blend in some light science fiction elements, and even some aspects of action/thriller stories, as a shadowy organization on the outside begins to make their presence known.

No longer an active MS developer; I'm just here for the memes

I did make a yuri game called Highway Blossoms though.
raithfyre
Writer

Re: The Human Reignition Project

Postby jarek56 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:33 pm

So this is what you've all been doing with your time. Interesting.

Grisaia? I'm afraid I may steer away from this, then. I wish you the best, but Grisaia was an RP I truly loathed. Sorry, Raith, it may not be my cup of tea. Any reason for setting in Japan?
jarek56

Postby zaku » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:09 pm

jarek56 wrote:So this is what you've all been doing with your time. Interesting.

Grisaia? I'm afraid I may steer away from this, then. I wish you the best, but Grisaia was an RP I truly loathed. Sorry, Raith, it may not be my cup of tea. Any reason for setting in Japan?

Many of the social issues Japan faces – such as its aging workforce, dwindling birthrate, and the ever-growing problem of young people being uninterested in relationships- are ones that we wished to tackle within the Human Reignition Project. Additionally, Japan has hosted a plethora of technological innovators over the last few decades, which is extremely relevant to our story. That aside, the setting isn’t explicitly Japanese and features no significant cultural references or landmarks. From http://reignitionproject.com/f-a-q/
zaku

Postby sky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:00 pm

jarek56 wrote:Grisaia? I'm afraid I may steer away from this, then. I wish you the best, but Grisaia was an RP I truly loathed.

Get out of here.
"I'm twice the man Erik is." - Lena Forst
sky

Postby raithfyre » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:09 am

I mean, it's not as if we're mimicking Grisaia's plot nor characters or anything. Simply that it's a game some of us enjoyed. Regardless, nothing will appeal to everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read.
No longer an active MS developer; I'm just here for the memes

I did make a yuri game called Highway Blossoms though.
raithfyre
Writer

Postby jarek56 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:06 pm

I'm afraid this isn't my cup of tea in the least. Again, best of luck to you, but I'm already waiting around for a certain VN of a challenging nature who may or may not make it to even demo stage to come around.

I've followed quite a few VNs these past 4 years only to watching most of them die without even a whimper, not even producing a functioning Demo beyond a few pictures. Frankly, I'm becoming somewhat disillusioned with the glorious inspirations that arose from the success of Katawa Shoujo. To be frank, I've wasted enough time checking on empty dreams.

Your taking money for this project also leaves me suspicious. If I had to guess, you probably couldn't find artists any other way, given what I've seen many deviantart artists say in regards to these many independent VNs. You likely had no other option but to commission them. I'm afraid i'm not going to be investing funds in such a concept.

I'm also a little curious; why are you concerned with documenting what are current issues a number of decades in the future when their impact will likely have seriously damaged the Japanese culture and nation? Would you not have a better commentary showing them here, now? Wouldn't that be a more effective means of calling attention to such a culture? Or better, writing it in Japanese for Japanese people, which is what this VN almost screams for you to do?
jarek56

Postby sky » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Dude, just what are you trying to accomplish here? Trying to guilt trip everyone to finally come together and make that VN you want, like the obedient little robots they are, because YOU have wasted enough of YOUR time? What the fuck?
What is up with your negative attitude to everything? You worded all that like you're accusing the guys behind the project of some sort of scam. That fucking insults me. (let alone the actual devs)
I've put $120 into that project, because I believe in their capabilities, fully aware that I will not see this money ever again if the project just fails. But you know what? I don't care. I'm willing to take that risk.
Stop complaining, get your shit together, sit tight and wait. These things aren't done over night.
"I'm twice the man Erik is." - Lena Forst
sky

Postby gekiganwing » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:54 am

As of this writing, Human Reignition Project is 149% funded with three days left. I'm impressed. Perhaps it will reach another stretch goal.

jarek56 wrote:Frankly, I'm becoming somewhat disillusioned with the glorious inspirations that arose from the success of Katawa Shoujo. To be frank, I've wasted enough time checking on empty dreams.

I've had a lot of frustrating experiences with a variety of fandoms and hobbies. There have been times when I've seen a much-anticipated commercial project get cancelled, or when I've seen a much-anticipated planned fan project get a cease-and-desist. Likewise, there have been days when I've said things such as "I spent six months waiting for this game, paid $50 US... and it's at best a six out of ten." There are a lot of little disappointments in life.

How do I deal with fandom frustration? By frequently asking myself what stories I like, what formats I prefer, and so on. A couple years ago, I realized that I like portable game consoles. That's why I imported a copy of Steins;Gate for Vita from the UK as well as two other licensed action games. That's also why I pre-ordered physical copies of the visual novels Norn9 and Code Realize, which should both be released in English later this year.
gekiganwing

Return to Public Projects