Blog Post: The Art of Not Writing

Official Missing Stars News.

Blog Post: The Art of Not Writing

Postby alabaster » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:12 am

Have you ever wondered why I'm so bad at my job? Find out in this exciting new blog post!

http://somnovastudios.blogspot.com/2012 ... iting.html
[23:08:40] Tony TwoFingers: Never put your dick down.
[23:08:44] Tony TwoFingers: Never surrender.
alabaster
Writer

Re: Blog Post: The Art of Not Writing

Postby Al Capwned » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:01 am

Hang in there alabaster! You better not screw it up! We believe in you :D

I guess I could tell you how I come up with characters, since I'm not pro or any thing, to "expose" another method. I usually come up with a broad over arching theme (some would call it a plot) first, or some very specific scenes that morph into a plot/theme upon further thought; that is based off of a setting or mood. My characters (main ones at least) sort of spawn from that scene, but it heavily depends on my mood, i.e. The MCs in my fanfic are loads different then the things I come up with just thinking about stuff. My pitfall about character development is that they are "faceless". I could try to explain, but I'd fail horribly in the process. I guess because my characters are created from an emotional soup, it's easier to think of them as a set of ideals and emotions rather than a specific being. I guess I'm just rambling now, since I'm consciously trying to think about how I create characters. So I'll do what I do best. Come up with a way to short and extremely simplified way of explaining convoluted thoughts. Now the moment you've all been waiting for...

I come up with a story, then the characters make themselves (mostly the main ones anyway).

Now go out there, and bust-some-heads! :lol:
my only real contribution to this forum,Comedies&Tragedies, you should read it sometime(maybe).
Al Capwned

Postby Ravenous » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:15 am

Ugh writers. If ANYTHING is wrong, it will always be the writers. That being said, I am terrible at writing original stories. I can, however, expand on, humanize, and make sure existing stories are consistent within their own canon.

Then again, the only thing I do moderately well is make music. I'll find time to love you still.
Ravenous

Postby Mr Immortal » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:13 pm

While the only characters I have the good fortune to write have been ones that are already part of their own worlds, I still like listening to music from their show, game or film to get me in the right mindset. Then I just take a walk, listening to it until an idea pops into my head.

My main way of trying to get to know a characters it finding music from their material that they would dance, run or fight to. It sounds weird, but it just helps relate to the character more if I have a theme I can see them doing a lot of actions in. Of course, I may actually use their battle themes if they have one, but that hasn't come up yet :mrgreen:

But music does help, and I do spend most of my time brainstorming situations rather than actually writing them :geek:
"Kindeys. I've got new kidneys! I don't like the colour."
- The 12th Doctor

"We have 80 Million ancestors; one of them has got to be Winnie the Pooh."
- David Mitchell
Mr Immortal

Postby TheLastMelody » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:10 am

Bright side, Alabaster, there is always someone worse than you out there (I am watching you, TLM!)
The Last Melody wrote:The past doesn't forgive, it only teaches.

Terra of the Left, God's Right Seat wrote:Challenge me to your hearts content, then give up to your hearts content

Zezin wrote:...I'm a derp, I know.
TheLastMelody

Return to News