Blog Post: Current State of Missing Stars

Official Missing Stars News.

Blog Post: Current State of Missing Stars

Postby keviniskool » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:19 pm

It's a no holds barred discussion of our development status. You can check it out here.

You can also ask us questions below, and we'll try to get to them.
keviniskool
Composer

Re: Blog Post: Current State of Missing Stars

Postby Al Capwned » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:01 am

So I guess I'll ask the first question. Given that the team is in dire needs of an artists, how close is the project close to falling through? (I may be able to spread the word to some locals that I know, provided that the project is in critical condition, and their schedule allow)
my only real contribution to this forum,Comedies&Tragedies, you should read it sometime(maybe).
Al Capwned

Postby MagmaBeatles » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:30 am

I'd help out, but I'm 98% sure that drawing random shapes in MS Paint doesn't count as "art."
MagmaBeatles

Postby keviniskool » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:49 am

Al Capwned wrote:So I guess I'll ask the first question. Given that the team is in dire needs of an artists, how close is the project close to falling through? (I may be able to spread the word to some locals that I know, provided that the project is in critical condition, and their schedule allow)

Honestly? Really close to falling through. Everything has moved along except art for about the past year. Part of the reason we never showed anything in the past is that we couldn't show a complete image of progress due to a lack of art assets. We would always get new artists, they would do one of our special holiday blog posts, then leave. Looking back, it was largely due to mismanagement of the art workflow and never putting down our feet and saying "this is what Missing Stars should look like". We would let artists try their own look, we would say "that looks nice", then just idle until they went away since no one wanted to say "that won't fit in with anything else, regardless of how good it looks."

We decided we aren't doing that anymore, since it clearly doesn't get usable results. We have a style now, and we're sticking with it. Rather than go with the KS model of having each girl drawn by a different person, we now have artists assigned to various stages of the drawing process so each character looks more consistent. Now instead of having 5-6 artists try to match everyone else's style in terms of proportions, coloring, and everything else, we only require artists match each other in their own part of the drawing process. With this model we would have quite a few line artists, a few colorists, and some CG drawers, rather than a "Katja artist", a "Holm twins" artist, etc.

In short, if you have friends, we would love to have them, because we really are that close to falling through.
keviniskool
Composer

Postby TonyTwoFingers » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:51 am

"Falling through" of course being industry lingo for "taking lots more time than estimated on art."
~Courtesy of Ravenous~

what's your favorite hentai genre, everyone? - Hagon
TonyTwoFingers
Writer

Postby sky » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:16 pm

TonyTwoFingers wrote:"Falling through" of course being industry lingo for "taking lots more time than estimated on art."

Thank you for clarifying that right away, I almost suffered a panic attack.
"I'm twice the man Erik is." - Lena Forst
sky

Postby keviniskool » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:24 pm

What can I say, Al Capwned wanted "critical condition", we want artists.
keviniskool
Composer

Postby Al Capwned » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:28 pm

keviniskool wrote:
Al Capwned wrote:So I guess I'll ask the first question. Given that the team is in dire needs of an artists, how close is the project close to falling through? (I may be able to spread the word to some locals that I know, provided that the project is in critical condition, and their schedule allow)

Honestly? Really close to falling through. Everything has moved along except art for about the past year. Part of the reason we never showed anything in the past is that we couldn't show a complete image of progress due to a lack of art assets. We would always get new artists, they would do one of our special holiday blog posts, then leave. Looking back, it was largely due to mismanagement of the art workflow and never putting down our feet and saying "this is what Missing Stars should look like". We would let artists try their own look, we would say "that looks nice", then just idle until they went away since no one wanted to say "that won't fit in with anything else, regardless of how good it looks."

We decided we aren't doing that anymore, since it clearly doesn't get usable results. We have a style now, and we're sticking with it. Rather than go with the KS model of having each girl drawn by a different person, we now have artists assigned to various stages of the drawing process so each character looks more consistent. Now instead of having 5-6 artists try to match everyone else's style in terms of proportions, coloring, and everything else, we only require artists match each other in their own part of the drawing process. With this model we would have quite a few line artists, a few colorists, and some CG drawers, rather than a "Katja artist", a "Holm twins" artist, etc.

In short, if you have friends, we would love to have them, because we really are that close to falling through.

Okay, I'll let them know. I can't guarantee that they will be able to help. But artist know other artist, right?
my only real contribution to this forum,Comedies&Tragedies, you should read it sometime(maybe).
Al Capwned

Postby sky » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:47 pm

keviniskool wrote:What can I say, Al Capwned wanted "critical condition", we want artists.

"I'm twice the man Erik is." - Lena Forst
sky

Postby Likhos » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:18 am

Well, nice to see some activity at last.
Likhos

Postby Blossomforth » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:15 am

Aw, I was hoping we were relatively close to a demo release. Like before December. Oh well.. I should be happy the project even made it this far. Few tend to.
Blossomforth

Postby Mr Immortal » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm just glad to hear the project is still alive and kicking. Even if you think you are falling behind, well done for everything you have done so far :)
"Kindeys. I've got new kidneys! I don't like the colour."
- The 12th Doctor

"We have 80 Million ancestors; one of them has got to be Winnie the Pooh."
- David Mitchell
Mr Immortal

Postby EasternCitrus » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:53 am

Yay! News!
Any way, while everyone is distracted by the need for artists, can I ask about the programming? You say you're having problems with it, but the programming behind a visual novel seems rather basic, or is there something I'm missing?
EasternCitrus

Postby raithfyre » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:17 am

There aren't any specific problems with programming yet. It's just sorta a given that there will be some, even if they're simple to fix. Ren'Py is notoriously buggy, plus there's operator-error, etc.
No longer an active MS developer; I'm just here for the memes

I did make a yuri game called Highway Blossoms though.
raithfyre
Writer

Return to News