IRL Mental Disorders/Problems That YOU Have

Talk about whatever you want as long as it's (even vaguely) related to MS.

Re: IRL Mental Disorders/Problems That YOU Have

Postby Snuffkin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:11 am

I've been accused of being schizoid and aspergers-ridden before, but given my upbringing I don't think it's that fair a judgement. Even if I had both those things, I'd still be less batshit than quite a bit of my close family.

KillerSnail wrote:
TheLastMelody wrote:Well...
You could get far with that attitude, thou it does depend on your luck with several factors:
Corruptibility of your workplace
The boss' attitude
And whether it works or not

Summary:
Good luck ^_^

Life ain't that easy. Shit will happen, that I cannot deny. But where's the challenge in backing down and moping in the corner? Sure, life may be meaningless, but we create meaning to it. (I'm existentialist, btw. Not really an optimist, not pessimistic either)

Mah comrade!
“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.”
― Philip K. Dick

Ravenous' kitten

Chris Korda for president
http://i.imgur.com/c1J1x2m.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Siga7Yv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oJuA3Ji.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/95o4i3W.png
Snuffkin

Postby The Chaos Entity » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:52 pm

I've been diagnosed with ASD, but haven't recieved any clarification on what kind. I was suggested to have Asperger's Syndrome, however, so it may be that. I've also been suggested to be an autisic savant, because of the way my brain remembers fine, minute detail from just a glance.
I also meet every single diagnostic criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder, though I don't really want to see a psychiatrist to make it official - everyone I've ever known has ended up worse after seeing one and I'm not exactly keen to join them.
I'm putting them to good use though, by using mental health as the theme for my final project (I'm in my second year of art college).
The Chaos Entity

Postby petselkie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:59 am

I have bipolar 1 with psychotic features. It is the most severe form of bipolar and it runs in my family. My grandmother was originally diagnosed with schizophrenia because of her paranoia and hallucinations. I am not as paranoid as she was, as in I don't think anyone is after me, but I have trouble sleeping if I am alone because I feel like someone is watching me or going to hurt me. I worry all the time that someone I care about is going to get hurt, and when I'm terrified someone will call needing me when I'm asleep or in the shower or bathroom and I'll miss it and it will be my fault.

As for the bipolar my mood swings are pretty severe and sudden. I will be up and manic for several days, be ok a few days, and then be super depressed for about a day or so. When I'm extremely manic is when I begin to feel paranoid and when it is most likely for me to hallucinate. It is really hard on me and I can't work at the moment. I'm really looking forward to this game and hope that everything is handled with an equal amount of humor and sensitivity as it was in KS!
petselkie

Postby Printanier » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 am

Depression and anxiety disorder. Which in turn drove me to alcoholism. Alcohol favours depression and anxiety. Kind of a Teufelskreis.
Printanier

Postby Nodscouter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 pm

Personally, Paranoid personality disorder. Compared to a lot of the disorders in this thread, I'd almost consider myself lucky. The worst I get is the inability to trust people or randomly coming up with conspiracy theories including all the people around me. Day-to-day, I can generally avoid any consequences the disorder brings as long as people don't adress me in ways that could be considered hostile or such, so it's not certainly not the life-consuming fear that it's usually portrayed as (At least, it isn't most of the time). I've heard that the real symptoms are only going to start kicking in soon for someone of my age, but I'm not sure if that's true, and it's certainly not like the disorder hasn't been present for the rest of my life anyway. I remember once in preschool I spent an entire day (As in, 8-ish hours) sitting with my back up against the corner and staring at the doorway. I have no idea what I was expecting, but I didn't feel safe moving from that position. I even slowed down my blinking so that whatever I was waiting for didn't surprise me in a moment of weakness. The funny thing, when I was a kid, everyone always seemed to think that I was just a normal, scared kid. They just decided that I was specifically afraid of blood, insects, animals, other people, open areas, tight rooms, heights, the dark and so on. They never seemed to read a pattern into all of it, funnily enough, although I think some suspicions were raised when I actually never let go of any of those fears when I grew up. I still can barely walk 500m home in the dark, I have to run at least half of it in general just to avoid panicking. I'm at least happy that my disorder isn't something that swings back and forth, like others. I've gotten used to it at least. I'm not sure if I could get used to having gigantic mood swings, so even if my disorder is something that goes on for my entire life and usually doesn't really stop at all, at least it's not something that could strike at any moment. I know what to expect, I'll say that.
Honestly, looking back at it in a time like this where I feel reasonably safe (My computer sits in the corner of a corridor-like room and I tilt my chair about 45 degrees so that my peripheral vision can pick up any movement), the scariest thing about is how easily I can make myself believe ridiculous things. I've had a lot of conspiracy theories going on that I generally believed, for example believing that this wasn't the real world and everyone was just lying to me and creating some kind of fake world for me to live in. Thinking about that now, I laugh at the very thought. It's ridiculous, I know that. But when I start to get these thoughts, I genuinely believe them. There's not a shred of doubt behind those thoughts. It seems like the most obvious thing in the world at the time. It's weird to know that it all starts from me thinking that someone acts weird or hostile towards me, and simply by the act of thinking about it I start some kind of paranoia-spiral where eventually I cook up entire worlds just to justify my suspicions of everyone else. The fact that I could at basically any point devolve into something like that is probably the scariest thing about it all.
Edit: It'd be interesting to set up a poll with the more common disorders (Autism, Aspergers, Depression etc...) so we could see what kind of batshit insanity is the most prevalent.
Nodscouter

Postby Ninja » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:47 pm

Nodscouter wrote:It'd be interesting to set up a poll with the more common disorders (Autism, Aspergers, Depression etc...) so we could see what kind of batshit insanity is the most prevalent.

Spoiler: it's depression.It's always depression.

Spoiler 2: it's self-diagnosed.It's always self-diagnosed.
Ninja

Postby TheLastMelody » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Ninja has to have a psychological education, that is so true
The Last Melody wrote:The past doesn't forgive, it only teaches.

Terra of the Left, God's Right Seat wrote:Challenge me to your hearts content, then give up to your hearts content

Zezin wrote:...I'm a derp, I know.
TheLastMelody

Postby Printanier » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 am

I wholeheartedly disapprove that stealthy statement. Mine wasn't self-diagnosed (well, well, aren't you the special case, you piece of drama queen trash :roll: ).
Printanier

Postby TheLastMelody » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:43 am

Printanier wrote:I wholeheartedly disapprove that stealthy statement. Mine wasn't self-diagnosed (well, well, aren't you the special case, you piece of drama queen trash :roll: ).

Ah, let me guess, they told you suffered from depression? Well, I have heard from secure sources that they only do that to make money of you and use the placebo effect to make you depressed!
They even tried to make me think I was insane!

Sources:
The invisible guy who is always close to me wherever I go, because he/she is invisible he/she can check those kind of things!

Terra of the Left, God's Right Seat wrote:Challenge me to your hearts content, then give up to your hearts content

TheLastMelody

Postby Printanier » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:51 pm

:shock: Gasp! I'm aghast! I've been manipulated this whole time.
"The invisible presence that constantly dogs someone on the internet called bullshit on this conundrum".
That will undoubtedly convince them.
Printanier

Postby TheLastMelody » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:54 am

Printanier wrote::shock: Gasp! I'm aghast! I've been manipulated this whole time.
"The invisible presence that constantly dogs someone on the internet called bullshit on this conundrum".
That will undoubtedly convince them.

Nice to meet you too ^_^

TheLastMelody

Postby KRiZ831 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:04 am

I don't see therapists and haven't since middle school. I've never been actually told I have anything but I always have thoughts of suicide for as long as I can remember. Its not like I am a depressed person or anything like that I just have fantasies of doing so and even attempted it a couple time when I was 6 and 10. I also find it really hard to care for the lives of anyone close to me yet I once put myself in harms way to save a stranger. I really didn't even care when I was told my mother, my (estranged father), and my older brother were diagnosed with cancer. I cant be in a stable relationship because I have a fear of a woman falling in love with me. I can't take the pressure of someone emotionally needing me and its really hard for me to show I care for a girl. They've all said I was distant. But I love the idea of romance I want to be that guy who can show he cares and stuff.

BTW I'm technically mentally fit to work as a soldier in the army. They'll let anybody in I guess
*=-=* Romance is my favorite genre yet I cant find a girl that can make me love her (thats a lie ive been in love before just wish I wasnt :/)
KRiZ831

Postby WookieLast » Sun May 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Diagnosed with OCD, clinical depression, anxiety and paranoia. On medication since i was 17 after having a nervous breakdown during my A level exam month. Got sectioned and had a 3 month stint in a mental institution.

Mental institutions suck. True story,
WookieLast

Postby Reese8 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:42 am

Asperger's. I'm not sure just how severe a case it is, but I did become much better adjusted over the course of my undergraduate studies. While I'm still careful about the amount of gluten I consume, not what one might call a social butterfly, a creature of habit, and prone to not following the same communications channels and/or logic of those around me, I'm now pretty confident in casual interactions if they happen to arise and have been building up circles of friends and acquaintances with varying but significant degrees of closeness. As opposed to back in high and middle school, when I had frequent stomach trouble, was much happier squatting in a corner with a book than talking to people, and went through one memorable period in which I would only open doors with my feet. And once responded to a thrown ball of paper by chasing another student down the hall and grappling them, shouting that they would face justice. Yeah... it's amazing how different one's past self can look.
Reese8

Postby sky » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Reese8 wrote: As opposed to back in high and middle school, when I had frequent stomach trouble, was much happier squatting in a corner with a book than talking to people, and went through one memorable period in which I would only open doors with my feet. And once responded to a thrown ball of paper by chasing another student down the hall and grappling them, shouting that they would face justice.

Hey, that sounds just like me when I was younger!
"I'm twice the man Erik is." - Lena Forst
sky

Postby Reese8 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:51 pm

sky wrote:
Reese8 wrote: As opposed to back in high and middle school, when I had frequent stomach trouble, was much happier squatting in a corner with a book than talking to people, and went through one memorable period in which I would only open doors with my feet. And once responded to a thrown ball of paper by chasing another student down the hall and grappling them, shouting that they would face justice.

Hey, that sounds just like me when I was younger!

I was at first surprised by this, and then I remembered what forum I was on. :)
Reese8

Postby sky » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Yes, all of us here are sort of mental.
"I'm twice the man Erik is." - Lena Forst
sky

Postby Zezin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:19 am

sky wrote:Yes, all of us here are sort of mental.

Heh heh heh...
Check out my Facebook Page! (Controversial Humor)
Zezin

Postby ScottyWired » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:47 am

Well I took an online test on some dodgy website because I was bored this one time and according to it's highly "expert" analysis I've got seventy-three forms of autism and insomnia :|

Another test said I had PTSD and.... AIDS?
ScottyWired

Postby TonyTwoFingers » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:09 am

ScottyWired wrote:Well I took an online test on some dodgy website because I was bored this one time and according to it's highly "expert" analysis I've got seventy-three forms of autism and insomnia :|

Another test said I had PTSD and.... AIDS?

Wow, you should book an interview with Ellen.
~Courtesy of Ravenous~

what's your favorite hentai genre, everyone? - Hagon
TonyTwoFingers
Writer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion