IRL Mental Disorders/Problems That YOU Have

Talk about whatever you want as long as it's (even vaguely) related to MS.
TheLastMelody

Re: IRL Mental Disorders/Problems That YOU Have

Post by TheLastMelody »

ILY wrote:
Ravenous wrote:Is it just me or are the people who love Rin the most mentally screwed up?
There are two types (of a noticeable percentage) of people who love Rin:

Those with their head in the clouds, and those who would like others to think that's the case.

;-)
You, good sir, seems to have hit the nail on the head (as far as I know ^_^)
The Last Melody wrote:The past doesn't forgive, it only teaches.
Terra of the Left, God's Right Seat wrote:Challenge me to your hearts content, then give up to your hearts content
Zezin wrote:...I'm a derp, I know.

khaos4ng31

Post by khaos4ng31 »

I have trouble searching for help too. I sent several emails to different psychiatrists asking for help and describing them with my situation when I was younger, but I can't handle going to their office. Something to do with social stigmas and the fact that I feel a lot different each day.

And I like Rin too. The art museum lady's story really hit home for me, in fact the whole goddamn path hit home in different ways. I can share a lot of the feelings that popped up in that story line. Tried to replay Rin's path, and failed. Evidently, I am an emotionally weak man who hides behind his mask.
Hope is an illusion. It is merely despair in disguise.

jarek56

Post by jarek56 »

khaos4ng31 wrote:
And I like Rin too. The art museum lady's story really hit home for me, in fact the whole goddamn path hit home in different ways. I can share a lot of the feelings that popped up in that story line. Tried to replay Rin's path, and failed. Evidently, I am an emotionally weak man who hides behind his mask.
Maybe it just hurts to go through a story that affected you so deeply. It's hard, I imagine, going through such...emotionally charged subjects.

jumjummju

Post by jumjummju »

Ravenous wrote:
jumjummju wrote:I have Asperger's myself...I love my Asperger's. It makes me unique! :3 I guess I'm just bubbly like that. :/... but meh. Or is humor the best I can do?
Not to say you really don't have aspergers (although I am irked by just about anyone using the term "neurotypical") but aspergers is probably number 3 on the list of over-diagnosed disorders behind ADD and depression. You seem to be well-functioning enough for it to not really matter.

Always good to have another person on the forums.
*Responding to a post made a whole page ago because I'm just slow as turtles like that. And turtles are awesome.*

It would seem that way, wouldn't it? I do actually have it, as I was diagnosed professionally. Then again, he also diagnosed me with mild depression, so take that as you will. And ADHD, but that's probably pretty accurate. (As in, I'm 15 and jitter like I've coffee for blood all the time and I also have a hard time organizing my thoughts, which leads to me sometimes vocalizing them, which leads to me looking weird because I'm usually muttering to myself in class.)

Anyway, the "neuro-typical" thing is mostly just me being silly and pretending to be an elitist hipster. You know, because us Aspies are obviously better in every way, shape, and form than normal people. Obviously. Psh. *dismissive, condescending hand-wave*

The well-functioning part is explained in that I sort of, outgrew it. Not like it just up and disappeared, mind you, but more that I sort of learned the hard way how to deal with social interactions. The way I see it, a lot of Aspies tend to be wallflowers and avoid social confrontation as much as possible, while I enjoy it, and tend to seek it out. This was a TERRIBLE thing for me all through elementary school (which I hated, yet thankfully I can't remember squat from then) and middle school (which was boring as crap. I was put in a Sped class. The horror! 'Twasn't all bad, though. I got a teacher to follow me around and write my homework down for me, which was good since I was always too lazy to do it for myself. Honestly, if the school didn't hand out detentions for not doing homework, I would've never done it and still got good grades on test because schools too easy.)

Due to that, I think I was able to learn to overcome that hurdle and, in a way, become more normal-ish. That, and my Asperger's was only moderate to begin with. (I think. Not entirely sure. My mom did take me tested after hearing that, in school, I apparently rolled around on the floor making bird noises. I was a goofy kid. :P)

So, yeah. Basically, treating social interactions like a science and attempting to "study" it sorta led me to overcome it. Not entirely, of course. I still have those awkward moments where I make what I think is a harmless joke and everyone looks at me like I just admitted to killing a puppy. And I have no idea how to flirt, nor detect one. Or how to detect sarcasm (which is extra awkward since I use it ALL THE TIME. And other people use it ALL THE TIME. And I'm left looking like an idiot ALL. THE. TIME.)
I am the resident hipster, brony, aspie, and occasionally idiotic troll that likes to think he's smart.

KillerSnail

Post by KillerSnail »

Psychology student here. Personally, I've never been formally diagnosed with any disorders, although (self-diagnosis) I've suffered from pretty severe depression at points in my life. Not clear of it even now, there are still shadows lurking. Aside from that, uh...well, misanthropy, social awkwardness....

Zezin

Post by Zezin »

KillerSnail wrote:Psychology student here. Personally, I've never been formally diagnosed with any disorders, although (self-diagnosis) I've suffered from pretty severe depression at points in my life. Not clear of it even now, there are still shadows lurking. Aside from that, uh...well, misanthropy, social awkwardness....
The issues I have have with Psychologists I mentioned earlier is laid out right here.
MOST Psychologists I have met either do not have a disorder, or a relatively minor one. Then they pretend they know all about a disorder just because they READ about it, or heard it from their Professor. Worse, they won't ever listen when a person who actually has the disorder says something contradictory to the recordings.
Just promise me you won't become another one of those assholes. Please.
(This is 10 years of built up anger talking, don't take it personally.)
Check out my Facebook Page! (Controversial Humor)

KillerSnail

Post by KillerSnail »

Zezin wrote:
KillerSnail wrote:Psychology student here. Personally, I've never been formally diagnosed with any disorders, although (self-diagnosis) I've suffered from pretty severe depression at points in my life. Not clear of it even now, there are still shadows lurking. Aside from that, uh...well, misanthropy, social awkwardness....
The issues I have have with Psychologists I mentioned earlier is laid out right here.
MOST Psychologists I have met either do not have a disorder, or a relatively minor one. Then they pretend they know all about a disorder just because they READ about it, or heard it from their Professor. Worse, they won't ever listen when a person who actually has the disorder says something contradictory to the recordings.
Just promise me you won't become another one of those assholes. Please.
(This is 10 years of built up anger talking, don't take it personally.)
I don't believe in merely following hard and fast guidelines when it comes to diagnosing others. Sometimes you have to go a little deeper, sometimes you need to rely on intuition, on your gut instinct.

The human connection is far more important, rather than merely treating someone as a bundle of disorders to be cured. Personally, I feel that sometimes psychologists/psychiatrists focus so much on the disorder that they fail to notice the hurting person behind it all, the individual who just needs a listening ear sometimes.

Don't worry, ain't gonna try and fix you. Usually, I'm hardest on myself, after all. Self-loathing tends to be the order of the day.

I'm an asshole indeed, but not in the way you described. Not the condescending kind anyway.

TheLastMelody

Post by TheLastMelody »

Well...
You could get far with that attitude, thou it does depend on your luck with several factors:
Corruptibility of your workplace
The boss' attitude
And whether it works or not

Summary:
Good luck ^_^
Terra of the Left, God's Right Seat wrote:Challenge me to your hearts content, then give up to your hearts content

KillerSnail

Post by KillerSnail »

TheLastMelody wrote:Well...
You could get far with that attitude, thou it does depend on your luck with several factors:
The boss' attitude

Summary:
Good luck ^_^
Life ain't that easy. Shit will happen, that I cannot deny. But where's the challenge in backing down and moping in the corner? Sure, life may be meaningless, but we create meaning to it. (I'm existentialist, btw. Not really an optimist, not pessimistic either)

TheLastMelody

Post by TheLastMelody »

KillerSnail wrote:
The boss' attitude

Summary:
Good luck ^_^
Life ain't that easy. Shit will happen, that I cannot deny. But where's the challenge in backing down and moping in the corner? Sure, life may be meaningless, but we create meaning to it. (I'm existentialist, btw. Not really an optimist, not pessimistic either)
Who told you to back down and mope in a corner? I just summarized what you could need good luck with, I never told you to back down if you didn't get that luck. "If someone slaps you on the cheek, you slap them once per cheek and a soul hook."

KillerSnail

Post by KillerSnail »

TheLastMelody wrote:
KillerSnail wrote:
The boss' attitude

Summary:
Good luck ^_^
Who told you to back down and mope in a corner? I just summarized what you could need good luck with, I never told you to back down if you didn't get that luck. "If someone slaps you on the cheek, you slap them once per cheek and a soul hook."
Naw, ain't nothing to do with ya. Just my personal philosophy. I was a rather passive individual at one point,fyi, so aye.

Hivemind

Post by Hivemind »

I have ADD, I take meds to keep it under control, but my thoughts are still rather jumbled.
Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember.

KillerSnail

Post by KillerSnail »

Hivemind wrote:I have ADD, I take meds to keep it under control, but my thoughts are still rather jumbled.
Ooh, Hivemind's here too.

Hmm, it would be rather fitting if your disorder was having multiple personalities, then you'd literally be a hive mind. Sort of.

ADD huh? Hmm, I have an autistic (rather severe) cousin.

Hivemind

Post by Hivemind »

KillerSnail wrote:
Hivemind wrote:I have ADD, I take meds to keep it under control, but my thoughts are still rather jumbled.
Ooh, Hivemind's here too.

Hmm, it would be rather fitting if your disorder was having multiple personalities, then you'd literally be a hive mind. Sort of.

ADD huh? Hmm, I have an autistic (rather severe) cousin.
Does ADD have anything to do with autism? Interesting. My head does kinda feel like a hivemind with all these thoughts going through it.
Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember.

Zezin

Post by Zezin »

Hivemind wrote:Does ADD have anything to do with autism? Interesting. My head does kinda feel like a hivemind with all these thoughts going through it.
It can be misdiagnosed as ADD but I don't think there is a connection.
But never take my word without another source.
Check out my Facebook Page! (Controversial Humor)

jumjummju

Post by jumjummju »

ADD and autism aren't really the same thing. It's just that people with autism take longer to get out of the childlike phase, so they appear more hyper and forgetful than normal and are often diagnosed with ADD or ADHD.

The latter of which I have, go figure. Along with Asperger's. So, that may be true. Or I'm just talking out my bum as I have no practical experience or formal knowledge of psychology. Most of what I said was just logical conjecture and my own experiences. :\
I am the resident hipster, brony, aspie, and occasionally idiotic troll that likes to think he's smart.

KillerSnail

Post by KillerSnail »

Zezin wrote:
Hivemind wrote:Does ADD have anything to do with autism? Interesting. My head does kinda feel like a hivemind with all these thoughts going through it.
Nah, wasn't implying that they're similar. It's just my way of speaking/typing, I tend to be a bit disorderly when posting on forums and stuff.

TheLastMelody

Post by TheLastMelody »

KillerSnail wrote:
Zezin wrote:
Nah, wasn't implying that they're similar. It's just my way of speaking/typing, I tend to be a bit disorderly when posting on forums and stuff.
Good to know I am not the only one doing that ^_^

Ninja

Post by Ninja »

Hivemind wrote:Does ADD have anything to do with autism?
They are both behavioral diagnoses characterized by lower attention span and can include the associated disruptive and/or aggressive behaviors related to task redirection. Other than those very nonspecific similarities, the manifesting behaviors vary widely between individuals.

Snuffkin

Post by Snuffkin »

Ravenous wrote:Is it just me or are the people who love Rin the most mentally screwed up?
I'm not sure I'm THAT screwed up, comparatively speaking, and she's tied for my favorite character in KS.
“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.”
― Philip K. Dick

Ravenous' kitten

Chris Korda for president
http://i.imgur.com/c1J1x2m.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Siga7Yv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oJuA3Ji.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/95o4i3W.png