IRL Mental Disorders/Problems That YOU Have

Talk about whatever you want as long as it's (even vaguely) related to MS.

Re: IRL Mental Disorders/Problems That YOU Have

Postby Zezin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:15 am

So there's an interesting situation happening in my life at the moment. I felt like posting it here because I don't want to start a new thread. (I do that too much...)

My class is reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" thus we have been watching some videos created by kids with Aspergers.

As is common in people with Aspergers they tend to talk in a way that doesn't make sense to most neurotypical people. So when no one seemed to get what was just said I translated it. After that I the teacher had me translate some of the other videos the rest of the class didn't quite pick up on.

Not sure how to feel about this really. I mean on one hand I like the feeling of helping these things make sense for some people with little exposure to people on the spectrum.
But on the other hand I don't really like advertising my disorder. It's obvious enough as it is.
Check out my Facebook Page! (Controversial Humor)
Zezin

Postby TheLastMelody » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Well, me speaking here, partly insane, but hey, who isn't?

Honestly, I would say don't give a sh** about what other thinks, the problem(not really a problem) here is you being you and me being me and therefore there are bound to major differences in our train of thoughts.
As I said earlier, I am halfway insane/crazy/whatnot and it really doesn't matter, the only sound advice I can give you is this:
Take a deep dive into your own mind, what matters most to you? That you enjoy helping them? That they get clear(er) signs of your "disorder"? Is this likely to affect how they treat you? If it does change, how would it change? Better? Worse? How will you act if it does change how they treat you?

It may be a bit much to take in at once, but there is more if you go down that alley and if you do go down that alley, keep this in mind:
Do not go to far... It only get's darker and darker. I wish you luck and hope you will tell me how this ends/what you decide to do ^_^
The Last Melody wrote:The past doesn't forgive, it only teaches.

Terra of the Left, God's Right Seat wrote:Challenge me to your hearts content, then give up to your hearts content

Zezin wrote:...I'm a derp, I know.
TheLastMelody

Postby Zezin » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:46 am

Well we're done with the book and now the class knows about my disorder, no one is treating me differently
(Which is both good and bad because people like like sh*t but I really don't give a f*ck)

However I have a new issue. A little over a month ago my 7 year old cousin died in a fire. I have been suffering of ASD ever since. They say it takes about 3-5 years to get over it...
I have been so overly aware of my own mortality and the mortality of others for awhile now. Every time we get a phone call from someone who doesn't call often my mind goes straight to "Is someone hurt? Did someone die?" and on the day of the first frost I was gripping the rail of my porch tightly with the scenario of slipping and breaking my head. No matter how much I tell myself I'm being ridiculous it just keeps happening in one way or another.

Living in constant grief and fear is not a good way to live, but I really can't help it.
Zezin

Postby Mr Immortal » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:06 pm

I never had much wrong when I joined this forum way back when but over a long period of time since I may have gone through depression. I say 'may' simply because my friends helped me through the darkest four or five months but I never sought real medical help until I had began to feel more confident with actually doing something with my days and talking about what was wrong, at which point the Doctor said I was likely not as depressed as I thought I was or no longer as depressed as I once was. My friends say I was, and I am more than inclined to believe them, but I'm glad they were there to help, despite what the doctor believes.

It's also kind of the reason I haven't been on here all that much in recent months, but I thought it was time to get back into something I was looking forward to.
"Kindeys. I've got new kidneys! I don't like the colour."
- The 12th Doctor

"We have 80 Million ancestors; one of them has got to be Winnie the Pooh."
- David Mitchell
Mr Immortal

Postby Zezin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:55 am

UPDATE: I have now begun to have fits in my sleep forcing me awake for the past few weeks.
MY therapist and my cousin who's a sleep technician both link it to the incident. At first I was confused because there was a large time-gap between the fits and the fire but they told me stress comes in waves and it's normal for new symptoms to come and go.
Still unpleasant though.
Zezin

Postby bobtehnoob » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:59 pm

Hello all, I'm new to these forums, so here goes.
I, for the most part, suffer from depression, partial bipolar disorder, and minor paranoia.

I have a friend who has multiple delusions, particularly a sort of chuunibyou disorder. He acts out in public and considers himself as the "descendant of King Arthur".

Aaaaanyways, I spend quite a bit of time attending conventions and meeting people online, and quite a few of them are also depressed and suicidal, much like I.

Nice to meet you all!
bobtehnoob

Postby Steinherz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:25 am

Myself?
Asperger's Syndrome and I believe I might have a self-induced case of OCD :lol:
I'm also called BlackSunNocturne (or BlckSunNocturne if sites are mean with character limits) if you're looking for me on other places.

Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'm stuck on the Eastern Front, and so are fucking you!
Steinherz

Postby TheLastMelody » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:41 am

Zezin wrote:Well we're done with the book and now the class knows about my disorder, no one is treating me differently
(Which is both good and bad because people like like sh*t but I really don't give a f*ck)

Great ^_^

Zezin wrote:However I have a new issue. A little over a month ago my 7 year old cousin died in a fire. I have been suffering of ASD ever since. They say it takes about 3-5 years to get over it...
I have been so overly aware of my own mortality and the mortality of others for awhile now. Every time we get a phone call from someone who doesn't call often my mind goes straight to "Is someone hurt? Did someone die?" and on the day of the first frost I was gripping the rail of my porch tightly with the scenario of slipping and breaking my head. No matter how much I tell myself I'm being ridiculous it just keeps happening in one way or another.

No idea, out of my field, sorry :/

Zezin wrote:Living in constant grief and fear is not a good way to live

No, it's not. It's a rather horrible way to live :/

Zezin wrote:UPDATE: I have now begun to have fits in my sleep forcing me awake for the past few weeks.
MY therapist and my cousin who's a sleep technician both link it to the incident. At first I was confused because there was a large time-gap between the fits and the fire but they told me stress comes in waves and it's normal for new symptoms to come and go.
Still unpleasant though.

Live to learn I guess :/
So, you get less sleep?

Steinherz wrote:Myself?
Asperger's Syndrome and I believe I might have a self-induced case of OCD :lol:

Funny that, really, how one thing so quickly lead to another :)

bobtehnoob wrote:Hello all, I'm new to these forums, so here goes.
I, for the most part, suffer from depression, partial bipolar disorder, and minor paranoia.

I have a friend who has multiple delusions, particularly a sort of chuunibyou disorder. He acts out in public and considers himself as the "descendant of King Arthur".

Aaaaanyways, I spend quite a bit of time attending conventions and meeting people online, and quite a few of them are also depressed and suicidal, much like I.

Nice to meet you all!

Nice to meet you too, not-so-new guy ^_^
Sounds like your friend has alot of self confidence at least ^_^
Well, they do say that depression is actually normal nowadays ^_^
And if you don't mind me asking(please don't answer if you don't want to), how does partial bipolar disorder feel? How much do you notice it?

Terra of the Left, God's Right Seat wrote:Challenge me to your hearts content, then give up to your hearts content

TheLastMelody

Postby AlgosRedMage » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:33 am

Well I just joined this forum, this would be a nice first post!

I have depression and anxiety, the latter which is the main cause of some pretty severe insomnia i have.

Basically, due to a few events in an emotionally abusive relationship, and the rehashing of that later on in life, I sometimes get panic attacks when I try to go to sleep.
The range of the insomnia varies. Sometimes I sleep less (3-5 hours) then normal. Sometimes I have to stay up for a day or so.
At its worst, I couldn't remember the last time I have gone to sleep naturally. It was all just passing out when I was too tired to feel the panic attacks.

Been a few years, I cope with it now better then before, and found a job that can have me work later shifts.
AlgosRedMage

Postby The Core » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Well, this is the entire reason I got interested in this project.

Depression, Anxiety, Borderline Personality Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Somatic Symptom Disorder, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
The Core

Postby Rupa123 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:31 pm

I used to have pretty bad problems with Depersonalization Disorder after having a traumatic experience while high a few years back. I took medication for it though and got over it pretty well, but I feel like lately I've been sleeping back into that feeling again/getting more depressed. Hopefully a change of environment will help me this year
Rupa123

Postby ScottyWired » Fri May 09, 2014 1:00 pm

ScottyWired wrote:Well I took an online test on some dodgy website because I was bored this one time and according to it's highly "expert" analysis I've got seventy-three forms of autism and insomnia :|

Another test said I had PTSD and.... AIDS?

Decided to read up on the symptoms of autism today

-Difficulty mixing with others
yeah lots of people are like that
-Inappropriate laughter
nothing wrong with having weird humour
-Inappropriate response to loud noises
I'm just on edge, okay?
-Poor speaking skills
hey at least I don't st--stu-stuttter?
-Unresponsive to verbal cues
Zoning out is normal, right?
-Over-sensitivity to touch
people used to hit me of course I'm scared
-No eye contact
well it's polite in some asian countries
-Echoes words or phrases
well uhh....
-Likes to spin things
oh my god I've got autism
ScottyWired

Postby sky » Sun May 11, 2014 9:14 am

ScottyWired wrote:
ScottyWired wrote:Well I took an online test on some dodgy website because I was bored this one time and according to it's highly "expert" analysis I've got seventy-three forms of autism and insomnia :|

Another test said I had PTSD and.... AIDS?

Decided to read up on the symptoms of autism today

-Difficulty mixing with others
yeah lots of people are like that
-Inappropriate laughter
nothing wrong with having weird humour
-Inappropriate response to loud noises
I'm just on edge, okay?
-Poor speaking skills
hey at least I don't st--stu-stuttter?
-Unresponsive to verbal cues
Zoning out is normal, right?
-Over-sensitivity to touch
people used to hit me of course I'm scared
-No eye contact
well it's polite in some asian countries
-Echoes words or phrases
well uhh....
-Likes to spin things
oh my god I've got autism

Sounds like me, alright.
"I'm twice the man Erik is." - Lena Forst
sky

Postby TheLastMelody » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:59 pm

And suddenly, everyone had those symptoms :-)

TheLastMelody

Postby WolfHunner » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Wow, after all these months I never shared this. I got ADD, I can't focus on one thing for a duration of time if it kills me. It makes studying hard and all.
<ILY> I FUCKING LOVE YOU LET'S SEX!
WolfHunner

Postby Greed » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:23 am

Lets see: ADHD, Social Anxiety Phobia and am Bipolar. So fun.
Greed

Postby Huffe » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:06 pm

I am a bit of a sadist, and I've been dealing with both depression and insomnia for the past three years. I take meds for it, but the real problem is with the side-effects.

Positives:
- Depression meds give me a drive I can't remember ever having before, so that's pretty much the best thing in the world.
- Sleep meds make me sleepy at the appropriate time (what a shocker, I know).

Negatives:
- Depression meds remove all sexual drive. The only reason I ever have to battle the one-eyed yogurt slinger is because I know it feels good. It essentially turns it into a matter of will, rather than need.
- Depression meds only work for the one day I take them. This would be fine and dandy, but I've been getting more and more forgetful these past years. Missing them one day results in a very toned down day. Nothing dreadful enough to remind me that I forgot my meds.
Missing day two, however, results in both physical and mental changes. Physically, I get dizzy, and am prone to lose my balance. Mentally, I get so sensitive that just remembering something slightly comical makes me burst out laughing. It goes the other way too, and I can just break down crying. Both and everything between can happen within ten minutes of eachother.
Missing day three, I haven't dared to find out yet.
- Sleeping meds turn me into a half-way sociopath, I can barely feel anything, and I can't connect with anyone. Then again, I never care about it, until I miss my depression meds.
- Missing sleeping meds gives me my emotions back, at the cost of no sleep. This goes on for about three days. Then I get decent amounts of sleep, but depression gets worse.
Only reason I know this is because around christmas last year, I tried stopping usage of sleeping meds. I actually felt strong emotions again. Other things came up along the way, and it was a downward spiral from there, until I got back on my meds
The end result was another six months going to therapy. Not because of a suicide attempt or drastic like that. The only times I seriously contemplated it was to make those around me feel pain.
Looking back, that seemed like a dumb idea, and as twisted as it may sound, the only two reasons I don't want to is
A: I wouldn't be here to experience a full life
B: I really doubt anyone'd care either way.
Not going back on the whole "it'd make others feel pain" should honestly be there, but at the moment, I do not have it in me to care.

Even today, I am filled with dread at the prospect of actual social contact. I meet with a group of acquaintances some times, and I only call them that because I can't bring myself to trust them enough to call them actual friends. Even my family, with whom I share the same roof, do not know what is really going on.
I have to get one thing out here though, and I don't care if it's not read. For the past year, I have been spinning a web of lies, and everyone that I know IRL is tangled up in it (sort of). I've lied to all of my family and everyone else I would normally care about. I've told them I attend classes, exams, and even getting grades on the exams. Those in a position to know about those things are (luckily) not acquainted with those who don't. Them I have fed lies about serious illness. As much as I would love to say that all of this was caused by my already existing mental problems, I have to be honest and say that the instigating factor is my own laziness.

I would sincerely love to have a place where I can leave the lies behind, and hope that anyone reading this can accept that. I want a friend or two online, and hopefully this can be the place where I make them.

Hope reading this was as good as it was for me to get it off my chest.
Huffe

Postby Reese8 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Huffe wrote:- Depression meds remove all sexual drive. The only reason I ever have to battle the one-eyed yogurt slinger is because I know it feels good. It essentially turns it into a matter of will, rather than need.

I'm sorry if this is a bothersome question, but I'm quite curious: why do you list this as a negative?
Reese8

Postby Huffe » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Oh, it's not bothersome in the slightest.
It's not a big problem, and especially right after starting, it was a bit of a relief not having that drive pushing me in a direction I didn't feel I needed.
But after three years, I can feel myself missing out on that part of life. I'm still young, and it's starting to become a slight worry that I'm falling behind others my age. Believe me, I know it's irrational, but I can't shake that feeling.
Huffe

Postby Reese8 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Huffe wrote:Oh, it's not bothersome in the slightest.
It's not a big problem, and especially right after starting, it was a bit of a relief not having that drive pushing me in a direction I didn't feel I needed.
But after three years, I can feel myself missing out on that part of life. I'm still young, and it's starting to become a slight worry that I'm falling behind others my age. Believe me, I know it's irrational, but I can't shake that feeling.

Hm. Well, I still don't fully understand it, but it's not as if I'm unfamiliar with being irrationally bothered by things that other people don't seem to even think about. Thank you.
Reese8

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion