Missing Stars demo and quality control?

Talk about whatever you want as long as it's (even vaguely) related to MS.

Missing Stars demo and quality control?

Postby Colstan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:06 pm

So, another studio recently released what they're billing as a demo for their VN. I'm sure everyone here knows who/what I'm talking about. (Hint: it rhymes with Null Tarts.) I'm not interested in bashing their actual product concept, but I'm hoping that it becomes a case study in how not to release a demo. Had they billed it as a "public alpha" and not an actual demo, then it would be fine. Instead, it looks like a bomb went off in their code base before releasing it.

BTW, if you truly want to try this thing out, as of this writing, you'll have to use "select all" in your browser to see the demo link. The "Windows" demo actually contains binaries for the Mac and Linux as well. Just getting the Mac binary running requires a bit of technical gymnastics, never mind the functionality of the game itself. *bangs head on wall*

I'm wondering if Somnova is going to put a bit more quality control into the initial Missing Stars demo release? I've been very impressed with the professionalism of their staff, not to mention they actually seem to have the necessary manpower to get it done. No demo is going to be perfect, but you want your first product release, even if it's a bare bones beta, to at least somewhat reflect the final product.

Colstan
Colstan

Re: Missing Stars demo and quality control?

Postby Kuroe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:30 am

Suffice it to say, we're working hard on it right now! As per Somnova Studios protocol, what's happening behind the scenes is still a big, big super sekrit, but when we do release, we aim to have as polished a demo as humanly possible. :)
SIGNATURES ARE OVERRATED.
Kuroe

Re: Missing Stars demo and quality control?

Postby Colstan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:22 pm

Thank you for your response, Kuroe. The only reason I brought up an unrelated project is to suggest what not to do. I'm not even talking about code or content, just very basic things:

1. Make sure the demo launches on all supported platforms. (It's a pain to have to needlessly open Terminal.)
2. Run a grammar checker. (Although, from my experience, Somnova writers don't have significant issues with grammar, spelling, syntax, etc.)
3. Don't make the demo link the same color as the background. (Do I really need to say this?)

As I stated previously, I have a great deal of confidence in Somnova's staff. I just want to stress the old saying that "you only get one chance to make a good first impression". I'm not suggesting perfection on a first release. I would humbly suggest that you make sure that your studio polishes everything that you consider to be basic and necessary, as well as put in place simple quality control metrics.

Thank you for your time,

Colstan
Colstan

Return to General Discussion